Sunday, November 18, 2007

Windsday, 2/30/1035

Gustav Tunnel. Level 47 (BST). Defeats = 0
Lost for Words, The Three Kingdoms. Level 25 (PLD). Defeats = 0

Damn Yhoator Jungle! I must have caught some form a exotic fever there, because I have been coughing and miserable for the past few weeks. The medics say I can do nothing but wait it out and get plenty of rest. Bah! I am an adventurer, I can't be lying about in my mog house all day. I bought some medicine from a shady dealer and it seemed to make me feel a little better, so I headed off for further adventure. After buying a new Viking Axe and Brigandine Armor from the Auction House, I made my way out to Gustav Tunnel.

Gustav Tunnel at level 47 kinda sucks. I should have come here earlier. Don't get me wrong, it is almost custom designed for Beastmasters. There are many beasts roaming around that can be charmed, including Makaras (pugils), Hawkers (flys), Greater Gaylas (bats), Labyrinth Lizards, and Labyrinth Leeches. Goblin Poachers, Goblin Reapers, and Goblin Robbers roam around as prey, and they are fairly spread out so there is little danger of them linking. And perhaps best of all, only the Goblins and the Pugils agro. However, at 47 the creatures are just too low level in general, with many Decent Challenge pets and prey roaming around. It would be better if I could venture further in and take on Goblin Shepherd's pets, but they were often taken by another Beastmaster or other solo job. This seems like one of those places where you just have to grind out the experience slowly. As I wasn't feeling very well, I quickly became bored and frustrated with this. I made it about halfway through level 47 before I had to set up camp briefly for rest. I had to recover some strength for my upcoming Mission.

I broke camp a couple of days later feeling a little better. I was due to meet up with Pitaya, Chili, and Papaya in order to finally complete our Windurst Missions for Rank 3. As I was equiping my Warp Cudgel, another level 47 Beastmaster ran by and rather rudely inspected me. I guess he thought I was trying to steal his camp or something. Well, I didn't have time for that nonsense and used my cudgel to Warp out to Jeuno. I switched to Paladin, then took a Chocobo out to meet my friends at the Maze of Shakhrami.

The Missions were a rather long series of adventures. I am not going to go into my usual detail for it would take too much parchment to write it all down. Moreover, I still need to get some rest to fight off this disease. Anyway, we went to the Maze at the behest of Nanaa Mihgo to get a Lapis Coral from the fossils there. She was not to be trusted, but this was the only way to get her to tell us about the Book of the Gods. After a few trivial fights with the weak Goblins there and a somewhat stronger Scorpion, we found what we sought and went back to Windurst. Having gained Mihgo's trust, she asked us to meet her at her hideout where she would return the Book. I smelt treachery afoot, but reluctantly agreed. Of course, when we arrived, she and her cohorts immediately mugged us, demanding that we drop all of our possessions and leave empty handed. During our standoff, Three Ace Cardians arrived, also in seek of the Book! Things were getting bad. Reluctantly, Mihgo told them it was hidden in the House of the Hero in Windurst. Then the Cardians double-crossed her and decided to kill them (and us) where we stood to eliminate any witnesses. I thought we were goners for sure, but we were saved by an unlikely source: Ajido-Marujido. His powerful magic destroyed one of the three Cardians. After a brief standoff, they retreated. Our party also made a hasty exit before the Cat Burglar and her cronies could rob us blind.

We went to the House of the Hero to investigate, only to find Ajido-Marujido already there. He had found the book, but claimed the pages had turned blank! This was the portent of another great War or something like that. We returned to the Optistery to report our findings, thus completing Mission 2-1.

Fortunately we had enough Rank Points to skip mission 2-2 and we proceeded to do Mission 2-3. We reported to Heavens Tower where were were to be given a very important task. In fact, since we were only Rank 2, the bureaucrat behind the desk, Kupipi, was unsure about giving us the assignment. Then I turned and to my delight saw Semih Lafihna - the Semih Lafihna - leader of the Sibyl Guards approach. She was, no, she is my idol! Apparently Lefihna-sama overheard the conversation and had taken an interest. She then asked to see my file, read it over, and said she was impressed with my resume!!! I almost fainted right there on the spot. I dared not speak lest I stutter incomprehensibly. I instead tried to stand tall and proud as I imagined a Paladin Knight would in the face of such an honor. On Semih Lefihna's command, we were assigned the mission despite our relatively low rank. We were to travel to the other nations, visit the consulates there and find out about the troubles plaguing those nations. We were to assist in out capacity as adventurers, but were reminded that Windurst was to remain a neutral nation.

As I was already an experienced White Mage, travel to the nations was pretty easy. I went to my Mog House and switched to White Mage, and cast Teleport-Holla on our party. Our first stop was to be San d'Oria. We arrived there and went to the consulate, where we ran into a female Hume adventurer on her way out, apparently on a similar mission. Her name was Lion, and even I have to admit she was pretty hot... for a Hume that is. The consul then explained that the orcs were gathering strength and using weapons beyond what their primitive technology was capable of. We were to report to Chateau d'Oraguille and get further instructions. We did so, meeting an extremely rude and conceited Elvaan nobleman named Halver. He (indirectly) called me a fur-ball!! I held my rage in check, though. It would do no good to get thrown out of Chateau d'Oraguille in disgrace and fail our mission. Semih Lafihna entrusted this mission to us. I would not let her down!

Halver told us to go the the orcish stronghold Ghelsba Outpost and defeat Warchief Vatgit there. I switched to Paladin and then we headed out. We made our way past the weak orcs roaming about and eventually found the warchief. At that time, we saw another group of adventurers, also Rank 2 but from Bastok. Figuring they were on a similar mission from their nation, Pitaya formed a temporary Alliance with them and our parties made short work of the Warchief. With our foe defeated, we triumphantly returned to the consul with news of our success. We were given a report to hand return to Heavens Tower in Windurst once our mission was complete. But first, we had to make a stop by Bastok.

After a quick Teleport-Dem and Chocobo ride, we soon arrived in Bastok. We went to the consulate there only to find it much less organized than its San d'Orian counterpart. Eventually, after some fumbling around on their part, we were instructed to talk to Pius at the President's Office for our mission details. Pius was also needlessly rude to us, but told us a bit about how the Quadav in Palborough Mines were becoming more organized and gathering strength. We talked to one of the former Galka miners, Grohm, who told us the sad tale of his fallen comrades. I was determined to avenge them. I switched back to Paladin, we checked our gear, and then headed for the Mines.

We quickly made our way through the mines to the upper levels. Regretfully, I completely forgot to bring some pickaxes along. It looked like there might be some Mythril Ore in the mine veins there. It did not matter though, we had a mission to complete! As we went further back, the Quadav were getting stronger and we had to battle past a few of them. It seemed as if we were on the right track. Pitaya cast Sneak on us so that we would have to fight every step of the way, and we arrived at what seemed to be the source of the evil driving the Quadav - a strange, unnatural burning circle.

We entered the burning circle only to be transported across dimensions to another chamber. There, we saw a Mythril Musketeer, Ayame, facing off against an vile looking Evil Eye called a Seeker. Apparently, it was somehow behind all this. It summoned a Dark Dragon using the evil powers of the Dark Lord. Ayame attacked, but even she would be no match for them alone! Pitaya quickly came up with a plan and we charged into action just as we saw Ayame fall. I Provoked the Seeker to get its attention, while Papaya used Elemental Seal and Sleep to stall the Dragon. I tanked the Seeker for a moment, giving Chili time to power up. I could actually see the chi energy flowing from her when she used Focus to increase her accuracy, Dodge to increase her Evasion, and then unleashed her mighty Hundred Fists! The little tarutaru's hands and feet became a blur as she pummeled the Seeker again and again. I hold little hope of keeping hate off of her in the face of such damage, but it did not matter. A quick Combo from her made short work of the Seeker. I turn and Provoke the Dragon briefly getting its attention while Chili then laid into it with her kung-fu skills. Pitaya and I easily kept her alive with Cure IIs while Papaya blasted away with her magics. In an emergency I was prepared to try and take hate with Invincible but it was not necessary. Chili's fists quickly beat the Dragon into submission as well. Victorious, we then went to check on Ayame only to find that Lion had already arrived and was tending to her. I looked like Ayame was alright. She said she was careless to let herself get hit like that, but thanked us for saving her. The Seeker, in its death throes, mocked us as it faded away, and claimed another Great War was on the horizon.

With everyone alive and our enemies defeated, we return to report to the consul. There, we received another report to hand back to Heavens Tower in Windurst. With our journey to both nations completed, we triumphantly returned to Windurst. We turned in our reports to the bureaucrat Kupipi, who was strangely rude to us for some reason. Oh! we forgot to bring her a gift from our travels. Oops, no wonder she was in a bad mood. Despite the lack of a gift, with a little reminder from us, she awarded us with official Adventurer's Certificates, 3000 gil, and Rank 3! We were all now Certified Adventurers!

No comments: