Monday, October 15, 2007

Earthsday, 10/12/1032

Fort Ghelsba. Level 34. Defeats = 0

As I write this, I feel I am slowly being driven mad. I have been at this for far too long. By my reckoning it has been over a fortnight since I started this camp. Since I started this insanity. Rumor had it that a mighty notorious monster wielding a mystic sword lurked in the Orc infested stronghold known as Fort Ghelsba. Chariotbuster Byakzak was his name. Apparently, this beastly warrior would only appear if one could destroy a dreaded war machine known as an Orcish Panzer. And only rarely at that.

Thirteen times I have destroyed this machine, hoping Byakzak would appear to challenge me. Each time, a pitiful Orcish Fighter appeared in his stead. I am beginning to think the notorious orc should be known more for his cowardice rather than his prowess. But the days upon days of waiting are starting to take their toll on me. My supplies run short, and soon I may be forced to return to San d'Oria in disgrace. Perhaps his plan is to weaken me with boredom before finally appearing.

At times I begin to wonder if the rumors are even credible. But several times during this venture I had to fend off or compete with my fellow adventurers, each with the same idea as me. Once, when I let my guard down, the Panzer was seized by a rival. I was aggravated, but unluckily for him, yet another Orcish Fighter appeared. In any event, there were enough competitors each vying for the same prize to think there might be something to the rumors.

But the real reason I am sticking with it is because I have been here so long already; it would be a shame to leave empty handed now. Of course, I started feeling that way after day 5, and I have been here almost three times as long now. Oh look, the orcs built another Panzer. I had better go destroy it again...

...
...

I did it! I defeated Chariotbuster Byakzak! On the 14th attempt, the fearsome warrior finally appeared. It was more of an epic battle than I anticipated, since I had just run out of pet broths on the previous fight, so I did not have the aid of one of my mighty familiars. Again and again my axe clashed against his sword as we danced our deadly dance. I had the upper hand for most of the battle, but then the orc went all out, unleashing his fury in a series of Mighty Strikes! Each of his blows smashed into me like a battering ram. But I was much more powerful overall. I used my white magic abilities to help keep the tide of battle in my favor. Divine Seal + Cure 2 erased all of the damage caused by the critical strikes. A quick Slow followed by Paralyze severely hindered the orc's battle effectiveness. At last, my axe rang out with the final blow, and Byakzak fell before me. I collected my prize, a fine low level blade called the Auriga Xiphos, and made the triumphant walk back to San d'Oria. (Now my Paladin and Red Mage will have an excellent sword to play around with!)

No comments: